This recipe is an absolute doddle, if you’re looking for something special to start off a dinner party or for something special? Give this a try, I’ve been doing this recipe in one way or another for years, I don’t take credit for it! I found the recipe in a book and thought it sounded interesting and made it!
You can be as simple or as flamboyant as you want when it comes to serving your salmon, simply thinly sliced on blinis or as I do with Lemon Purée, Lemon Confit, Cucumber, Beetroot and Lemon Oil!!!!
For the salmon
One salmon side, about 1kg, skin on & bones removed
75g (3oz) black treacle
1 tblsp English made mustard
50g (2oz) sea salt
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 lemon, zested
1. Put the salmon skin side down on a sheet of cling film.
2. Gently warm the treacle in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, then add the mustard, salt, pepper, fennel and lemon.
3. Spread this mixture over the top of the salmon flesh, NOT the skin, wrap well in cling film, place skin side down on a tray and leave at room temperature for 1 hour, before refrigerating
4. Leave the salmon for at least 3 days, but for best results 5-6 days
5. Remove the cling film from the salmon and scrape away any excess liquid and marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper.
6. To serve, Slice at a 45° angle into thin slices and simply serve with bread and butter.
What could be easier than this?